Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Yard (and any other viable space) Decor.


Did I ever mention that the former owners of our house, really, really liked yard "decorations"? This picture doesn't do their love for tacky ornaments justice. 

Take this photo and extrapolate. 

Imagine a complete collection of cow memorabilia. (double this)

Imagine how every "special place" might have it's own unique set of decorations. For instance, you can picture a set of "fairy furniture," arranged comfortably under a large tree, complete with a pink rocking chair (pictured above) as a perfect resting place for any mythical creature tired of flapping its wings to relax.

Imagine how the owners' love for "things" like this may have crept into the windows and crevices of our house and how interesting it must be to pull open the blinds in the spare bedroom, only to discover a set of twirling crystals wrapped in wire and attached so firmly to the blinds that it requires near demolition to remove.

Imagine my surprise, a year into home ownership, when we explore a new area of the property and come across another "find." Most recently, I unearthed a wooden patriotic eagle that doubles as a wind spinner (yes, I looked it up, that is the proper term.) I imagine it looking strikingly like this one in it's glory days...

Imagine your dear partner who has a fancy for rhyming (and real poetry, much to his credit), and a particular penchant for memorizing anything non-useful, discovering these posters with the caption below. 
"May neither drought, nor rain, nor blizzard.
Destroy the joy-juice in your gizzard.
And may you camp where wind won't hit you,
Where snakes won't bite, and bears won't git you!"

Imagine how often I hear Mr. Bee repeat this bizarre little ditty because he thinks it is so weird and funny. 

I guess some things can't be blamed on the previous owners. 

3 comments:

  1. I have a great little horseshoe shaped wreath made of barbed wire and old dried flowers that would make a great addition to your collection...oh, and two as yet unpainted concrete chickens intended for a faculty prank that never organized itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this was posted a long time ago... but do you have any information on those cowboy pictures? I have been looking for the one on the right for a long time. It would mean a lot to my brother and I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this was posted a long time ago... but do you have any information on those cowboy pictures? I have been looking for the one on the right for a long time. It would mean a lot to my brother and I.

    ReplyDelete

Have your own experience to share? We are all on some sort of journey, and we'd love to hear yours!