Monday, March 16, 2015

Catching Up: Llama, Llama who's your Mama?

"Ama, Ama!"

It was several months ago, and Baby Bee was reaching toward me, nearly shrieking with delight. I reflected his enthusiasm, adding a helping of my own excitement.

"That's right Baby Bee, I'm MAMA!" I  pointed at myself, expanding on his gesture. "Mama!"

You wait for this moment as a parent. You wait and hope and when it doesn't come you are grateful for the other things--like words or communication at all. You learn that kids on the spectrum or with language delays often have some unusual first words. He'd mastered GOAT and DATE as in, "Let's go on a date" or "What's the date today?" But I was still waiting to hear him to refer to me as anything besides "milk." Adding Mama as his fourth word felt exhilarating.  

"Ahhhh-ma!"

"That's right, Mama!"

Baby Bee was no longer delighted. His face scrunched, preparing for his hallmark scream of frustration. He reached toward me again emphasizing the first syllable. "ahhhhh-ma."

He was still reaching so I figured he wanted picked up. 

He didn't. 

(I have the bite marks to prove it.)

I heard a noise outside and reflectively glanced over my shoulder toward the window. In our house, we hear noises, talk about noises, and search out their source. Then we talk about them some more.

But I didn't make it past a first glance. Instead, something on the window sill caught my eye.


Llama, llama who's your Mama?

Yep. That's right.

 A llama.*








*Technically this IS an alpaca. We know this. But somehow we got into a habit of calling it a llama and we just couldn't stop.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your own experience to share? We are all on some sort of journey, and we'd love to hear yours!