Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Week Three

This week has brought lots of visitors for our little flock. We've had friends, coworkers, neighbors and family out to feed and socialize them. Week three is full of changes. Remember when these guys could fit in your hand? Well, not anymore. I barely remember what it was like to have them so small.

 
The ducks are used to me hand-feeding them. Since I was holding 
the camera, I couldn't but the big Pekin (yellow) is reluctant to 
believe she'll have to eat off the ground!
 Between now and the next two weeks, they will be in the fastest growth period of their adolescence. Even so, we have cut back their grain feedings to twice a day, and for just 5 minutes each time! (They will always have free access to greens though.)

I'm afraid that pretty soon, my weekly ducky postings will begin looking less like cute baby duckies and more like molting monsters. You can see from the video (~10 seconds) their backs are starting to go bare and new, real feathers are starting to come in. Let's hope they come in quickly!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your own experience to share? We are all on some sort of journey, and we'd love to hear yours!