Saturday, May 9, 2015

Restoring the land, making space

The goats cleared out almost all the blackberries from their paddock and we are looking at fencing off a second area that is overrun in salmon and blackberries as well.

Of course as they eat away the foliage we get the pleasure of uncovering more yard decor. I haven't figured out just how people dump things on any land--let alone their own. Instead of feeling ownership over our property (well, let's be honest our mortgage company own most of it anyhow), I mostly feel responsibility. Like I should leave it no worse than I receive it--preferably better.  I want to nurture it so it continues to give back to me and anyone else who ends up here. 

Sometimes things look so neat and tidy until I pull back some of the ground cover and then WHAM! 


What's that pile doing over there? Why did someone dump those right here where some unsuspecting person might fall into it and get hurt? Shouldn't the owner just have dealt with them in the first place instead of letting them decay and degrade their surroundings? Oh wait, are we talking about my own life or the junk in the yard? 

It's all the same to me now, as I find I can't make space for beautiful things to thrive in one domain without making space in the other. As we restore the land, we restore ourselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your own experience to share? We are all on some sort of journey, and we'd love to hear yours!